Tuesday 10 April 2012

Update and a.....vent?

I have been working on Mirabilia's Mediterranean Mermaid - who I call "Cleo". She is on 32 count Daybreak by Crafty Kitten.  She is extremely pretty - most of her tail is all kreniks.  I love the blues and greens. I am stitching this for my pregnant sister Jamie.  If she is having a girl - it is going in the nursery - if she is having another boy (she already has two!), it is going in Jamie's bedroom.  I much like the idea of stitching her a Mira versus a baby sampler - I'm just not in that head space right now.

update 04/09/2012

So now the VENT.... I intended this to be a stitching blog but its also going to be my outlet when one is required.  My husband and I have made a HUGE decision to move from the East Coast of Canada to the West Coast of Canada - and the decision has made us very unpopular with our extended family.

Here is a little back ground - my husband just finished his Registered Nursing degree.  He is currently is a Licenced Practical Nurse here in New Brunswick.  We love our home, our street, our town, the school the girls go to, the daycare, my job.... but the reality is we live in a province that is struggling under massive debt and as a result they have put a spending freeze on many things - including health care.  There is a current hiring freeze on RN's.  My husband has been looking for a job here for months - there is none.  We even looked in Halifax, NS - about 3 hours away - there is none.  Here is the kicker!...... There are 100's in Alberta.  Full time. 

Based on this we have chosen to go where our family has a chance to prosper.  This is not going over well with the extended family - which we expected - as we have two little girls that are 8 and 5 1/2.  Some how, this decision that we struggled to make, for the betterment of ourselves, has become percieved as a means to somehow punish our extended family and shut them out of our lives.  That is far from the truth.  The one thing holding us back is the fact that we would have to leave our extended family - but instead of getting concern and support we got guilt tripped. 

So here it goes (and this is addressed to more than one person):  I'm sorry that this decision has hurt your feelings - it hurts our feelings too.  I wish we didn't have to move to prosper but we have a young family and we need to take care of ourselves.  You are always welcome at our new home - in fact we are buying a bigger house that specifically has an extra room with a full bathroom attached - you can stay a day, a week, a month and once you get here you won't have to pay a cent - its on us.  Yes, the plane ticket is expensive about $700 - but that is $2 a day.  Trust me, our decision to move is not to punish you, or take the kids away from you - its for us to have economic prosperity and for us to have a chance to explore that side of the continent with our children. The world is shrinking. We know its far - trust me - we know.... but it will all be okay. This decision is about the four of us, taking care of the four of us. 

6 comments:

  1. Give people some time to accept the reality, and I'm sure everyone will feel better. Any change is scary at first, for all involved, and strong emotions can lead to misunderstandings and hurt feelings. As long as you're doing what is right for you and your immediate family, that's all that matters. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{hugs}}} I faced the same family turmoil when I moved from the southern US (Tennessee) to California about 15 years ago. I know it's not easy, but I commend you and your husband for making a decision that will help your family. If they don't already, perhaps your family could install Skype on their computers. Seeing each other on video really makes the miles seem less than a regular phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I hope everything works out soon. Your mermaid is looking fabulous.

    Hugs,
    Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay strong! The decision to move away is a hard one (be there done that and then moved back). In the end you have to do what you have to do. Family will never want you to leave but eventually they will understand that you are doing this for the betterment and future of your own family - I'm sure that this is nothing that they would not do themselves if they had to!

    Sending you some support from your Atlantic buddy!

    -Melissa

    PS: The mermaid is GORGEOUS

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do what is necessary for the well-being of your family. No guilt-trips allowed!

    I have awarded you a Liebster on my blog: MyStitchyRamblings.blogspot.com

    Keep up the great blogging and stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there!! We live 3000 miles from any family, and it's rough, but it makes it worth it when you can afford the life that you need and deserve! Good luck on the move, and I hope the family "comes around." Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete