The first project may be one of my favorite pieces that I have ever stitched. I love a lot of my finishes, but this one I really connect with.
Florentina - Mirabilia by Nora Corbett
Florentina is a pattern by Nora Corbett under her Mirabilia line. I stitched her on this gorgeous piece of Enchanting Aurora 32 count murano by.... you guessed it... Crafty Kitten. This is one of the most delicious pieces of fabrics I have ever worked with. So beautiful.
Tina, as I called her had an elaborate back story that I weaved in my mind while stitching her. Tina was a free spirit - a bit of an odd ball compared to her dignified family. She loved nature, flowers, animals and most especially the wind in her hair. She loved to run off and hide in the gardens where she could breathe and just be herself - away from the drudgery of social life.
I added to this piece some mixed materials that I had picked up at Bead FX in Toronto. I added the irredecent butterflies in her hair, the silver flower - and my favorite touch - the feather earring.
Her lovely cat was a joy to stitch. I added a special little Swarovski crystal fish. This cat is pampered but also loves to run free in the garden - much like his Mistress Tina.
If you notice Florentina has a huge rock on her hand. Don't worry it is her right hand. It is a family heirloom. She is a little too spirited for married life yet.
The dress on Florentina is huge. It was a lot more than I had anticipated and it took awhile to finish up. I did enjoy working with the colours - they were very calming.
I have a frame for this. I need to pin and stretch it and get her up on the wall. I just think she is perfection if I do say so myself!
Coral Charms - Nora Corbett
I also had one other finish in 2016. That was Coral Charms from Nora Corbett's La Petite Mermaid Collection. This was one of those patterns that jump out at you one day. I wanted something bright and quick to counter Florentina and Coral won out.
This fabric is Fairies Meadow by Sunny Dyes Fabric. My guess is 28 count. I did not stitch the long tendrills that flowed from her tail. I used beads called dragon scales at the ends of her hair. I added additional bicone beads and more to her head dress... I blinged her out as per my usual. She was a fun stitch and didn't take up too long.
Thank you for reading through my post and I hope you enjoyed these pieces! That is all I managed to finish in 2016. I actually started 2 other larger pieces towards the end of 2016 that only were finished in 2017. More to come on those soon!